By Catherine Morba, Plate of Mind. Adapted from EatingWell.
Serves: 4 (¾ cup of polenta, 2 cups of vegetables)
*Ingredients currently available at the farmers’ market
● 4 cups water
● 1 cup cornmeal
● 1 tablespoon butter*
● ½ teaspoon salt, divided
● 3 large tomatoes* of choice
● 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil*, divided
● 3 cloves garlic*, minced
● ½ teaspoon ground pepper
● ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper*
● 1 large eggplant, cut into ½-inch-thick slices
● ½ cup chopped fresh basil*
● 1 tsp minced fresh thyme*
- Toss tomatoes with 3 tablespoons oil, garlic, pepper, crushed red pepper and ¼ teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Set aside to marinate.
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Slowly whisk in cornmeal and reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Cook until thickened, stirring occasionally, for about 25 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter and the other ¼ tsp salt.
- Brush eggplant with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Grill directly on the grate on medium-high heat until charred, turning once, about 5 minutes per side. Let cool, then chop into bite-size pieces and add to the tomatoes along with basil and thyme. Spoon the vegetable mixture on top of bowls of polenta and serve.