Recipe adapted for Saveur
Makes 1 sandwich
*Ingredients currently available at the Saratoga Farmers’ Market
• 1 really ripe tomato (big, red-blue beefsteaks are best—all flesh and juice, with not too many seeds)*
• 2 slices of bread – toasted*
• Salt and fresh black pepper
• Add cucumber, thinly sliced – if desired*
1. Thickly slice tomato.Butter toast, slather a thick layer of mayonnaise on both pieces, then lay on two or three tomato slices and season with a generous sprinkle of salt, the tiniest pinch of sugar, and a few good grinds of black pepper.
2. Roll up your sleeves and bite through the crisp buttered bread and into the sweet taste of summer.