Adapted from the recipe by Tonia Schemmel, featured on Feasting at Home
Prep & cook time: 40 minutes
Makes 6 servings
*Ingredients currently available at the Saratoga Farmers’ Market
- 3 slices (3 oz) bread*
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme*, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano*, chopped fine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup hard cow’s milk cheese*, grated
- 4-5 medium tomatoes*, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 medium zucchini*, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 large cloves garlic*, minced
- 1 tablespoon shallot*, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves*
- Preheat oven to 400F. Hand-tear bread to form coarse crumbs. Place on a sheet pan and bake at 400 degrees for 3-5 minutes, until dried out.
- Toss toasted bread, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, thyme, oregano, salt, black pepper, and cheese together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Alternate tomato and zucchini slices in a shallow baking pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk together remaining olive oil, red wine vinegar, minced garlic, and shallot. Pour over tomatoes and squash. Top evenly with breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes or until bread crumbs are toasty. Tear basil leaves on top and serve warm or at room temperature.