Recipe by Jodie Fitz
*Ingredients available at the Saratoga Farmers’ Market
● 3 lbs lean ground beef*
● 2 zucchinis, medium-sized*
● 1 1/2 lbs carrots*
● 1 lb frozen corn
● 1 sweet onion*
● 3 – 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes with basil, garlic & oregano
● 32 oz organic beef stock
● 2 cups water
● 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
● 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
● 1 tablespoon onion powder
● 2 teaspoons sea salt
● 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
● 1 teaspoon coriander
● 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1. Brown the ground beef over medium heat. Stir frequently.
2. While the beef is browning, dice the onions and prep the zucchini by slicing it and cutting it into quarters. Peel and slice the carrots.
3. Carefully drain any excess juices from the browned meat.
4. Add the cut zucchini, sliced carrots, frozen corn, diced onion, cans of tomatoes, beef stock, water, Italian seasoning, onion powder, sea salt, garlic powder, coriander & black pepper.
5. Bring the soup to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat to medium/low & simmer until the vegetables are soft—approximately 15-20 minutes.
6. Stir in the parmesan cheese just before serving,
7. Serve alone, over cooked pasta, cooked rice, or cooked barley.
THIS WEEK’s FEATURED ARTICLE: Fall Garden Prep