Adapted from the recipe by Ed Howard, featured on Allrecipes.com
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 20 min
Makes 12 muffins
*Ingredients currently available at the farmers’ market
● 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
● 1/3 cup white sugar
● 1 teaspoon baking soda
● 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon*
● 1/2 teaspoon salt
● 1 egg*, lightly beaten
● 1/2 cup vegetable or coconut oil
● 1/4 cup milk*
● 1 tablespoon lemon juice
● 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
● 1 cup zucchini*, shredded
● 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips or chocolate pieces*
● Optional: 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 12 muffin cups, or line with paper muffin liners.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Mix egg, oil, milk, lemon juice, and vanilla extract in a bowl; stir into dry ingredients until just moistened. Fold in zucchini, chocolate chips, and walnuts. Fill prepared muffin cups 2/3 full.
- Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.